Do you always take a step back and put yourself in the customer's shoes when creating your event marketing campaigns?
Too often we are too focused on meeting deadlines, getting more attendees onto our seats & ticking things off our to-do lists. We have to many things on our plate in the lead-up to the event.
Frankly, it can be tempting to make as much of the process "one size fits all" as possible.
Don't worry, you're not alone. We've been there and done that.
While that may have been acceptable several years ago, your customers have become accustomed to a little more ‘you get me -- you really, really get me’ in their marketing.
Marketing personalization has become a hot topic, not only in the events industry.
You can thank those personalized coupons delivered to your phones, custom movie recommendations from Netflix and hand-picked Amazon recommendations based on your previous browsing and purchasing history.
Thankfully, event marketing technology has stepped up its game.
And the technology is ready to help you look like you understand your customer as well as their BFF, your customer's best friend.
Let's dig a bit deeper to help you understand WHY personalized event marketing is so important and more interestingly, how it can help you get more attendees to your event:
1. Personalized event marketing can increase your conversion
Not to be self-centered, but if your emails, your registration form and your event website are personalized, you have a greater chance of converting recipients and visitors to actual attendees.
In fact, according to marketing automation and CRM software HubSpot, emails that use the first name of the recipient in their subject line had higher click-through rates than emails that did not.
According to Statista, open rates for event marketing emails with a personalized message are almost 7% higher. (Click to Tweet!)
Just make sure you are always using your real name or the name of the person sending the email rather than your company name.
People buy from people and the first step is getting them to open the email, right?
Personalizing your event website and using copy that matches the needs of your persona can help you further increase conversion.
Personas? Don't worry, we'll cover that later.
Additionally, registration forms that are already pre-populated with attendee information, convert up to 10 times better. (Click to Tweet!)
But conversion alone is not the only reason why personalized event marketing works.
2. It also shows you understand who your customers are
If your prospect opens your email, sees your ad on Facebook or lands on your event website, you want to make sure you capture their attention quickly.
A great marketing model to keep in mind is AIDA, which stands for Attention, Interest, Desire and Action.
The purpose of this is to get the reader to do something, e.g. register for your event, and ensure that your writing is as effective as possible in achieving this.
- First, you must grab your reader's attention
- You need to engage their interest.
- You must build a desire for the event offering
- Last, you need to set out how your audience can take the action you want them to take.
The same goes for your content strategy.
People respond to content that interests them, solves a pain point, informs or entertains them.
You can amaze your audience with your marketing by highlighting the speakers or tracks they would benefit from, giving prospects the confidence that you know your stuff and your event will be worth their time.
The better you can adopt to your audiences needs (without being creepy, of course), the quicker you can build a relationship with them.
3. Personalized event marketing reflects positively on your brand
Event professionals are perfectionists and customer pleasers.
You want your attendees to feel valued and special at your unique event.
You would never think of welcoming your guests at your event with "Hello attendee #123", so don't fall down on opportunities to personalise every aspect of your event marketing from the top of the funnel to the event itself.
If your attendees feel special, they will think you're special and as you know, word-of-mouth goes a long way.
The same goes for social media.
Social Media is always a two-way conversation and the more you can personalise the communication and react to your attendees' needs in a quick and personalised way, the better.
4. It helps you generate new referrals and leads
You've already heard about personas.
A persona represents a segment of your audience members with similar behaviours, needs and purchasing decisions.
By identifying their unique preferences, you can reveal what is personally meaningful to each targeted audience.
The better the quality of your data, the more you can learn from your audience and the more likely you deliver an event that fulfils all their needs.
Now, let's imagine you're crafting an email invitation with your target persona in mind. It's most likely that prospects will see themselves clearly in the way you market to them.
This, in return, helps them think about "like" people in their networks that might also like to attend your event and it's more likely that those invitees will refer others where they see fit.
These are new leads you probably don't have in your database, so take the gifts as they come!
5. It increases event satisfaction & experience
When you carry out personalization tactics into the event itself - through networking activities, your event app, your content, or social media, you're making your guests feel that they get what they want from your event.
You're creating an experience that feels personal and relevant to them. An atmosphere that can trigger attendees to feel more involved with your event and, in return, can increase your event engagement, your net promoter scores and retention through repeat attendance.
Together with our friends at Venngage, we've created an infographic to remind you about the secrets on personalized event marketing, crafting an email invitation that actually works and helping you get more attendees. Enjoy!
Share this INFOGRAPHIC On Your Site
There is a multitude of reasons to make sure you nail personalized event marketing and set yourself apart from your competition.
Here are some key takeaways to keep in mind.
- Create personas and focus on their needs and wants when crafting your event marketing and websites: In the lead-up to your event, attendees are filtering through gads of information, content, social channels, speaker and attendee bios all to make sure they get the most out of their time away from their desk.
- Use marketing personalisation in every step of your marketing funnel: Ifyou’ve nailed the personalization pre-event, don’t fail to personalize when it comes to your event website! Land prospects on a vanilla website and it all of that marketing effort comes crashing down. There are many ways to personalize landing pages, based on company type, organizational role or by event tracks or themes.
- Choose an event technology that can help you personalise your event marketing easily: Don't assume this type of creativity is going to land you in hot water with your web team (if you have one!). But rest assured, it doesn’t have to be hard or require gobs of extra dev time. While it used to be a time-consuming resource drain to create customized landing pages, that’s no longer the case.
Want to get new ideas how you can personalize your event marketing? Get Swoogo's Event Personalization Strategy eBook!